Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Private Water Supplies

Private Water Supplies

Although the vast majority of homes and business are supplied with water from the public mains, some rely on a private water supply.  A private water supply is one that is not supplied from the public supply and may come from a loch, burn, pond, well, spring, borehole or a combination of sources. The supply may serve one property or a number of different properties.

Clackmannanshire Council area has a small number of supplies which serve private dwellings, tourist facilities and commercial businesses.

By their nature, private water supplies are vulnerable to contamination which may cause waterborne infections or ill effects.  It is essential that all providers and users of private water supplies take all appropriate steps to protect their supplies.

Any person who has concerns regarding their private supply should contact the Environmental Health Service at the address below for further advice.


The Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 2006 regulate Type B supplies.  Type B supplies are those serving only domestic premises, providing less than 10 cubic metres of water per day and serving less than 50 persons.  These supplies are required to comply with a limited range of parameters that are defined in the regulations and will not form part of a statutory sampling programme.

The Water Intended for Human Consumption (Private Supplies)(Scotland) Regulations 2017 regulate those supplies which on average provide 10 or more cubic metres of water per day; or serves 50 or more persons; or regardless of volume of water provided or the number of persons, supplies a commercial or public activity.  These supplies will be routinely monitored under the statutory sampling programme.

Grant Funding for Improvements

Non means tested grant funding is available to all premises served by a private water supply.  The grant can offer up to £800 per premise and can be used for the purpose of carrying out improvements to the source, distribution or treatment of the supply.  Any person wishing to apply for a grant or has concerns regarding their supply can request a risk assessment to be carried out on the supply by a trained


For Further Information Contact

Environmental Health
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000