Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Carers Assessment

Carers Assessment

Who is a carer?

A carer can be a person of any age who offers substantial support to a parent, child, relative, partner, spouse or friend who is ill or disabled.

The person being cared for may require assistance because they:

  • Are frail or elderly
  • Suffer from dementia
  • Have a mental health problem
  • Have a physical disability
  • Have a learning disability
  • Have an alcohol or substance misuse problem
  • Have a sensory impairment
  • Are a child with special needs
  • Require help for everyday tasks

Why would a carer need help?

You may need help because you:

  • Work outside the home as well as being a carer
  • Have financial problems
  • Feel ill or under stress
  • Need a break or the chance to go out socially
  • You need advice / support

What is a carer's assessment?

An assessment considers any needs you may have or difficulties that you may be facing.

These difficulties may be financial, practical or you may simply need advice. Carers are entitled to request a copy of the assessment and conclusions.

You can also choose not to have a carer's assessment. This will not affect the support offered to the person being cared for.

How we will assess your needs as a carer

You can contact the Assessment and Care Management Service for a carer's assessment. We will discuss your support options with you and provide you with the information you may need to help you in your caring role.

You may not have thought about how caring is affecting you. The assessment is an opportunity to think about this and decide what would be best for you and the person you care for.

Who should a carer contact to request a carer's assessment?

You or your representative should contact a social worker at one of Clackmannanshire the following:

Service Manager - Adult Assessment, Adult Care
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 452498 / 450000

What support/advice is available?

You can contact Social Services to request a carer's assessment or can ask someone to do so on your behalf. Support and advice is also available from various local Carer's support groups.

What support/services can Social Services offer?

  • An opportunity to discuss your needs and what services are available
  • Additional services to the person you care for can be provided, if assessed as required
  • Information on support services/agencies
  • Contact details of who can offer support at times of pressure

What services are available to support a carer and the person they care for?

Domestic help will only be provided when there is exceptional need. Details of local care providers can be given on request.

Are Services Chargable?

Due to the Community Care Charging Policy there may be a charge for the services provided:

  1. Some services are free to the public, e.g. small pieces of equipment etc;
  2. Some services are charged on the person's ability to pay, for example:
  3. Other services such as meals-on-wheels and respite care have a fixed charge.

Please see the Community Care Charging Policy for more information about charges for services.

What can you do if you are not satisfied with the assessment or the service?

If you want to comment or complain about the way the assessment is carried out or the quality of service you received, contact the Team Leader or Service Manager.

For Further Information Contact

Service Manager - Adult Assessment, Adult Care
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 452498 / 450000